As we all know, throughout different cultures and periods, the world has changed and so have the rules of life, while other things stayed the same. If you have no idea what are the Native American Code of Ethics, keep on reading.
The Native American Code of Ethics is a code of ethics that was developed in the 1990s. It was originally posted in the “inner-Tribal Times” and has been reposted by the Native village. Then, many other people have shared it. And that’s how I discovered it.
We don’t know enough about this code of ethics and who was it made by and how deep it is. But when you read it, you can feel that people who made it did it with the intention of spreading love and awareness throughout the world. If you are looking for something new to learn or you’re just curious or looking for guidance, I advise you to keep reading this article to know more about it.
1. Rise with the sun to pray. Pray alone. Pray often. The Great Spirit will listen if you only speak.
The meaning behind this is that you should feel free to pray whenever you want and if you don’t, you’ll never be heard. This is just a reminder that we should learn to speak or we won’t receive.
2. Be tolerant of those who are lost on their path. Ignorance, conceit, anger, jealousy, and greed stem from a lost soul. Pray that they will find guidance.
When we meet people who have no clue what they’re doing, or they’re stuck in something even though they’re trying hard to get out of the rut, we shouldn’t underestimate them but instead, we must support and help them.
3. Search for yourself, by yourself. Do not allow others to make your path for you. It is your road and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.
Don’t let anyone choose your path in life, or choose your life for you. This kind of decision must be made by you and only you, and no one has the right to interrupt.
4. Treat the guests in your home with much consideration. Serve them the best food, give them the best bed and treat them with respect and honor.
Be kind to people, even to the ones you don’t know. Support people who need you there and help them. You don’t know when will you need support too.
5. Do not take what is not yours whether from a person, a community, the wilderness or from a culture. It was not earned nor given. It is not yours.
You should never take something that’s not yours, whether it’s small or big if it doesn’t belong to you or it’s not a gift. Learn how to refuse things that don’t belong to you because you’re not a thief.
6. Respect all things that are placed upon this earth – whether it be people or plants.
You have to respect everything in this world because every single thing on earth deserves to be respected. Torturing those who don’t deserve it is senseless.
7. Honor other people’s thoughts, wishes, and words. Never interrupt another or mock or rudely mimic them. Allow each person the right to personal expression.
You shouldn’t judge people just because they don’t agree with you. If someone had a different opinion about something, it doesn’t mean that they’re a bad person. Sometimes you should learn to agree to disagree.
8. Never speak of others in a bad way. The negative energy that you put out into the universe will multiply when it returns to you.
Talking badly about others only brings negative energies towards your way. These negative energies will follow you wherever you go and you really don’t want that to happen.
9. All persons make mistakes. And all mistakes can be forgiven.
Humans are not robots, we make mistakes. And forgiving someone who is mistaken is hard to do but it’s so important.
10. Bad thoughts cause illness of the mind, body, and spirit. Practice optimism.
Being overly negative only makes you think negatively more and creates a negative environment. And this can harm you more than you think. It can be a slow process but it happens.
11. Nature is not FOR us, it is a PART of us. They are part of your worldly family.
We don’t own nature. Nature is the most important part of our planet and we should coexist together as one.
12. Children are the seeds of our future. Plant love in their hearts and water them with wisdom and life’s lessons. When they are grown, give them space to grow.
Treat your children right. Because one day we will die and the next generation will rule the world and if we treat them right, the future will be bright. Vice versa.
13. Avoid hurting the hearts of others. The poison of your pain will return to you.
You are also hurting yourself by hurting others. Don’t leave the right path just to bring others down, that’s not how a decent human being acts.
14. Be truthful at all times. Honesty is the test of one’s will within this universe.
We should never give up on the truth even if it’s getting you into trouble or some pretty complicated problems. But the most important thing is always saying the truth and speaking up when something’s wrong.
15. Keep yourself balanced. Your Mental self, Spiritual self, Emotional self, and Physical self – all need to be strong, pure and healthy. Work out the body to strengthen the mind. Grow rich in spirit to cure emotional ails.
Finding balance is hard, but the hardest part of finding it is retaining it. It’s so frustrating to try to maintain balance. You should remember to pick yourself up even when you’re falling.
16. Make conscious decisions as to who you will be and how you will react. Be responsible for your own actions.
Learn to take responsibility for your own words and actions. Because you are a mature human being and you are the only one in charge of your life.
17. Respect the privacy and personal space of others. Do not touch the personal property of others – especially sacred and religious objects. This is forbidden.
Everyone deserves to have privacy and personal space, and it’s not a bad thing. Keep in mind that the more connected we are, the easier it is for us.
18. Be true to yourself first. You cannot nurture and help others if you cannot nurture and help yourself first.
If we don’t believe in ourselves, nobody will believe in us. Learn how to be confident and strong on your own without needing others. That way, we become much happier.
19. Respect other’s religious beliefs. Do not force your belief on others.
Never try to force someone into believing the same thing as you. Being nosy is a bad thing and if you don’t mind your own business when it comes to people’s beliefs it only backlashes on you.
20. Share your good fortune with others. Participate in charity.
Throughout our life, we should try our best to do certain things properly. Even the things that seem small but make a huge difference, especially something like charity.
Sharing is caring. The more we share the more we bring forth happiness to this world. While you shouldn’t share literally everything you should do your part.